Today it really hit me that my sweet baby Ben really isn't a baby any more. I know the exact moment when I thought, "Oh no! My baby is a big boy!" Will had gone out to run some errands, so Ben, Nico, my niece Belle, and I were just playing around at our house. When the garage door opened, Ben jumped up and went running towards it. That isn't anything unusual as he is always thrilled any time someone walks in the door. He started calling out, "Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!" over and over again. That's when it hit me. He wasn't saying the babyish "Dada" that he has used since he was just a bitty baby. He was sounding much more like a preschooler with his grown up "Daddy"! It's amazing how just that one little change in one little word made him suddenly seem so very grown up! I almost cried-both because it was so adorable to hear him calling for his "Daddy" and also because I realized just how quickly these precious 22 months have flown past. My baby is now a little boy-still just as sweet and wonderful as ever-but not really a baby. I'm both dreading and looking forward to the day when "Mama" becomes "Mommy", then "Mom", and probably eventually "Mother" before becoming "Mom" again!
Wednesday, February 17, 2010
When did this happen????
Today it really hit me that my sweet baby Ben really isn't a baby any more. I know the exact moment when I thought, "Oh no! My baby is a big boy!" Will had gone out to run some errands, so Ben, Nico, my niece Belle, and I were just playing around at our house. When the garage door opened, Ben jumped up and went running towards it. That isn't anything unusual as he is always thrilled any time someone walks in the door. He started calling out, "Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!" over and over again. That's when it hit me. He wasn't saying the babyish "Dada" that he has used since he was just a bitty baby. He was sounding much more like a preschooler with his grown up "Daddy"! It's amazing how just that one little change in one little word made him suddenly seem so very grown up! I almost cried-both because it was so adorable to hear him calling for his "Daddy" and also because I realized just how quickly these precious 22 months have flown past. My baby is now a little boy-still just as sweet and wonderful as ever-but not really a baby. I'm both dreading and looking forward to the day when "Mama" becomes "Mommy", then "Mom", and probably eventually "Mother" before becoming "Mom" again!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Aww. He is getting big. I have a love/hate relationship with those moments. You are SO proud of them but it still is kind of sad that they have gotten bigger.
Sophia turned the light off in her room without jumping to reach the switch and I started crying.
It's funny how once you get a little-little boy, your little boy seems so big now. I remember feeling that same way when Ian was born. Nolan suddenly felt so much bigger.
I agree with Joanna. I always thought Crista was "little" until we brought Addie home. Suddenly Crista was so big in comparison!
wonderful post. yes, our names, what we are called, go through that transition, but our heart always is the same. loving on our babies, even when they are babies no more.
Post a Comment